Sunday, August 7, 2011

Caps Lock Steals Typing Focus with Dell Quickset

Source: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19323875.aspx
Snapshot: August 08, 2011, 01:27 PM

Intro: Whenever I'm typing and I use the Caps Lock key, my current window loses focus and the cursor disappears and has to be reset by clicking the mouse in the spot where it should have been, or wait a couple moments for my window to gain focus.

0. BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY
A. Go to "C:\Windows". (or wherever your Windows install is)
B. Run "regedit.exe". (or any other way you're comfortable starting the Registry Editor)
C. Press yes to prompt (for allowing system changes) - if no prompt comes then follow next step.
D. Go to SOFTWARE -- DELL COMPUTER CORPORATION -- QUICKSET.
E. Rightclick on QUICKSETCONTROL and press MODIFY.
F. Change the value to "1" instead of "4" (which some recent software changed in your computer without your permission to begin with).
G. Restart your system.

11 comments:

  1. Many thanks for this solution that fixed a really irritating problem. I have given the link to the French Dell support team, as they were unaware of this solution and we tried many others that didn't solve the issue.

    DIC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thanks for this solitions. It works for focus problem. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I have this same problem. Does this solution work in Windows 7 (64-bit)? The reason I ask is that my current value is not 4, it is 9428. I have backed up my registry but I am still a little worried about changing the value to 1 in case this solution isn't applicable to my system.
    Thanks for your help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my system's win7-64 and it worked for me. :D hopefully it does for you too if you ever decide to do so

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply. I took the plunge and changed the registry and it seems to have fixed the problem, so thank you for that! But now the icon that comes up on the screen when you change volume/brightness etc has changed to something fairly archaic. Does anyone know which values correspond to each style?
      Thanks

      Delete
    3. oh, that. yeap, comes with the fix. the newer ui elements break the whole focus thing which causes the original problem in the first place. i've quickly learned to give up the new look for one that's functioning :D lemme know if you come across a style that does look updated without the focus catch.

      and sweet! no prob, glad ta be of help

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, my registry seems to be a bit different and I can't find anything on the net so far to help me.

    using alienware 17
    windows 7

    after i go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE I go to Software, it has a folder called Dell, not DELL COMPUTER CORPORATION, and when I click Dell there are two folders named MUP and SupportSoftware. neither one of these has QUICKSET in it.

    When I go to the Edit drop down menu and use the Find feature it does not find anything that says Quickset.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm.. could be one of two things: your focus problem is caused by something other than quickset, or the quickset installation is corrupted. your original drivers can help with the second one. mine (quickset 64 v.10.6.2) got installed as part of the original disc image. you could also probably try creating the key-value pair under Dell, or make a DELL COMPUTER CORPORATION entry and create the QUICKSET and QUICKSET CONTROL/Modify entries there. backup your registry first before you try these suggestions out. hope this helps :D

      Delete